The symposium is a part of a project of the Baltic-Nordic Network of Remote Art & Residency Centers; however, it is open to participants from all over the world. Through the symposium we hope to build a network of remotely located centers, and learn different approaches to these unique places. For more information, and to see the other participating partners, please visit the project blog at http://remotenet.nidacolony.lt/
The symposium is a 3-day-long event (May 17-20). The contributors are invited to share their experiences working and living in remotely located art & residency centers as directors and cultural managers, and as practicing artists and participants. We are looking forward to proposals from a variety of cultural disciplines on the theme of “remoteness”, with an emphasis on community building, interaction with local inhabitants, and site specificity.
The format: The format is open; proposals can vary from lectures and workshops to performances and site-specific artworks. We are able to provide accommodation and catering to a limited number of participants. Travel expenses are subject to availability.
Deadline: Please send a short proposal (up to 500 words + visual material if needed) by March 31, 2012 to email@example.com with subject line “proposal for symposium”;
Interested individuals who would prefer to take part as audience members may apply as “passive” participants by submitting a request with a short motivation letter. Unfortunately, we will be unable to cover your participation costs.
PARTICIPATING CENTRES from the Network
1. Centre for Art and Social Practice MoKS (Mooste, 4 hours away from Tallinn, Estonia, www.moks.ee)
2. Sanna Culture Manor (Sanna, 4 hours away from Tallinn, Estonia, www.kultuurimois.kultuuritehas.ee)
3. Interdisciplinary Art Group SERDE (Aizpute, 3h away from Riga, Latvia, www.serde.lv)
4. Nida Art Colony of the Vilnius Academy of Arts (Nida, 5h away from Vilnius, Lithuania, www.nidacolony.lt)
5. Kultivator (Färjestaden, 5h away from Stockholm, Sweden, http://kultivator.org)
6. Nes Artist Residency (Skagaströnd, 5h away from Reykjavik, Iceland, http://neslist.is)
7. Art and Nature Center Mustarinda (Hyrynsalmi, 8h away from Helsinki, Finland, http://mustarinda.fi)
8. Center for visual Art Skaftfell (8h away from Reykjavik, Iceland, http://skaftfell.is)
First Inter-format Symposium, May, 2011